Following a policy of efficiency improvement the University of Copenhagen (UC) decided to develop a policy and a strategy for energy efficiency improvement. Ramboll was asked to assist UC in setting realistic and ambitious targets and develop strategies for their fulfilment. Subsequently, Ramboll served as main consultant in implementing the strategy.
Ramboll's background for the assignment was our participation in the development of the Danish energy management concept as well as numerous assignments aiming at improving energy efficiency in industrial and commercial buildings.
Ramboll developed recommendations to:
- An institutional set up for energy management, securing a strong anchorage within the board of directors as well as with the local managers of research and education
- An energy registration system allowing for an ever deeper understanding of the distribution of energy consumption and potential energy savings
- Training and knowledge sharing among energy responsible staff
- A financing mechanism securing the necessary investment capital with a minimum impact on the funding of other activities
- Implementation of procedures for regular reporting of energy consumption as well as planning of new activities
- Implementation of procedures for securing a high energy efficiency of new building and installation projects
Presently UC has integrated the procedures into its daily operations and the institution is almost fully self-sufficient with only occasional assistance from Ramboll.