Docklands Light Railway has expanded its network to carry three car trains.
As part of this project Taylor Woodrow was awarded the design and build contract for ‘Provision of Three Car Enhancement Works’. Ramboll worked in conjunction with Arup on the detail design of the supporting structures and stations.
The scope of works included:
- Modification of stations
- Construction of the new South Quay Station
- Modification and strengthening of 70 bridges and viaducts
- Modification to permanent way
- Construction of new grade separated viaducts at the Delta and Canning Town Junctions
- Replacement of bearings and shock transmission units
During the tender stage our full design support duties included the development of a number of innovative procedures, During the tender stage our full design support duties included the development of a number of innovative procedures, such as under-taking strain gauging and laboratory testing of a weld improvement technique, useful for minimising the strengthening of structures.
Full design support during tender stage, design of modification and strengthening works to existing bridges, design of new structures and of the new South Quay Station, Category III checking of Arup designs, strain gauging of structures, geotechnical engineering.